Thursday, May 29, 2008

"Rally For Ally"


Last night I decided that I needed to do something. Ally's situation has really tugged at my heart and I wanted to do what something that would raise her spirits. I can't imagine what Shane and Amy (Ally's parents) are going through, so I figured if I could make Ally smile, then maybe that would bring a little relief to their minds and hearts.

As many of you know, Heather and I are part of the FAMILY TIES team for the RELAY FOR LIFE in Illinois. The relay is June 13th this year and with Ally's new diagnosis, the relay has raised importance. I decided to start a small campaign I titled "Rally For Ally". On June 13th, every member of our team will be wearing a "Rally For Ally" t-shirt that I currently have being printed. With the shirt, I am asking every member to have a permanent marker with them. The goal is to have our team members share Ally's story with other people at the relay and ask these people to include Ally in their thoughts and prayers. If that person(s) agree to do so, then our team member will hand that person the marker and ask them to sign their shirt, pledging their commitment to think of or pray for Ally. The purpose is to (1) share Ally's story (2) challenge team members to reach out to others as a support system and (3) wear a visual for Ally to see that she is not fighting this battle alone.

The idea has already taken off. I ordered 50 shirts today and I'm reading that more people are wanting shirts. For those who are NOT part of the FAMILY TIES relay team and want a shirt, please contact Heather or myself, and we'll get one ordered for you. I will not be able to attend the relay this year, which is quite disappointing for me, but I have faith that the team will make this a huge success for Ally.

I have a renewed faith in mankind. I have been making several contacts to various organizations to get Ally some "special" gifts and everyone has followed through. As of right now, I have commitments from:

St. Louis Cardinals - sending Ally a care package from Busch Stadium
University Of Illinois Men's Basketball - care package
Ball State Women's Basketball - autographed shirt/jersey
Joni Schrock/Team Adidas - shirts

I have yet to hear back from the Chicago Bears and the Chicago Blackhawks, but with the luck I'm having, I think they'll come through.

A special thanks to the Brecht family for writing to Ally. It meant a lot to me and especially to Ally.

Please keep Ally and her family in your thoughts and prayers. Remember to "Rally For Ally" as she gets ready to beat her cancer.

1 comment:

Sarah Brecht said...

We are definitely praying for her :)