Sunday, May 10, 2009

Micheala........

Happy Mother's Day to all of the mothers out in blog land! Today my wife and I celebrated Mother's Day in St. Lukes hospital. Let me explpain and I'll start from the beginning.

Heather and I had Micheala take part in a study down at the University of Iowa about a month ago. The study tests children of Type 1 Diabetics to see if they have the signs of becoming a diabetic in the future. If the test comes back positive, then that means that your child would have a chance to become diabetic and the University would like to study the child to see if the early signs of diabetes can be identified much earlier. Well Micheala's test came back positive, which was heart wrenching for me, but it was not a 100% sign that she would be diabetic, just that she has a chance. Over the last week, Heather and I started to notice the symptoms (extreme thirst, frequent urination and mood swings). We tested her blood sugar at home and it was high, so we headed to St. Luke's to get the official diagnosis.....Type 1 diabetes.

Micheala will be hospitalized for a bit to regulate her sugars and is already doing better. She still has lots of energy and the hospital staff complimented us on being "so alert" to the symptoms. She did not get sick or dehydrated like I did when I was diagnosed, so we have skipped some of the scary parts of diabetes, but we know we have a long road ahead of us.

On a personal note......I am crushed. I never wanted this to happen to any of my kids as I struggle to keep my diabetes in check. I guess now I will have to refocus and buckle down on my own health to encourage Micheala to do the same. I have trouble understanding why Micheala just can't seem to get a fair shake in life. I find myself very guilt stricken and wish I could undo it all. K'la and I have always had a special bond and I guess now there is one more thing that we share.

1 comment:

jenni said...

I can understand where you are coming from, but don't feel guilty, it is not your fault. She is strong little girl and unfortunatly has gone through more than many other children ever will. She will come through it all and be who she is. The good thing is, you know all about diabetes and the signs and what to do and you can teach her all this. Stay strong, she will be ok.