Thursday, February 28, 2008

Down with the sickness.

My, my, my. It's amazing how things can change in a matter of 12 hours.

On Wednesday, things started off great in the Schrock House. The girls were playing dress up and everyone was happy and healthy. Then we got hit with the bomb. At about six o'clock that evening, we noticed Dylanne started to look like shit. She was coughing, sneezing, had a headache and told us her stomach hurt. She then laid down and went to sleep. This is NOT Dylanne at all. So Heather and I decided to take her to the ER to get some medical attention. Dylanne had been indirectly exposed to Influenza A on two separate occasions this year and we feared the worst. To make a long story short, she was diagnosed with Influenza A and now all four of us are on medication. The girls have never been keen on taking medication, so medicine time is restraint time. It's an awful experience!

This is the girls playing dress up at 12 noon on Wednesday. Things at this point seemed to be going well. The girls enjoy the warmer weather, so any chance they have to throw on their summer gear, they take it! They get pissed when I won't let them leave the house this way. "We won't get cold dad!"

Micheala rockin out the shades and the hat. I told her she looked like LL Cool J and she just said, "Is he on Hannah Montana?" I laughed and told her "No". It's then that I realized that I have a lot to teach these girls.

We were hoping that Micheala would somehow avoid getting Influenza A, but Thursday night she was in the same shape as Dylanne. Once we get them medicated, they seem to relax a bit and are able to color and play a bit. Micheala is coloring while resting on the couch. She is very tough to deal with, as expected, and has spike a fever at times of 102.9.

This picture makes me sick to my stomach. Dylanne resting on the couch Thursday night. The toughest part for her was missing her school pajama party. She was looking forward to this party for a week now and had to miss it. Dylanne is suffering the most right now. Her lips are really chapped right now and we have been trying to push fluids on both of them.
It's really tough to see your kids down and out. I know that both my kids are fighters and will get through this, but it doesn't make them feel better right now. Heather and I are basically keeping are hopes up that we don't get this stuff, even though I would gladly trade places with the girls right now. Both girls did have their flu shots but the report is that the shot has only been 40% effective this year. Why couldn't we have fallen in that 40%?

1 comment:

Sarah Brecht said...

Bummer. I hope they feel better soon. Love the dress up pics. They are really adorable!