Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Happy Father's Day, Dad

Sometimes the unique Father's Day gift is the best. Besides, the "unique" way just better fits my style. My Dad has been finishing off the inside of his garage in his free time (which isn't much at all). He had mentioned to me months ago that he would like to paint the inside of his garage once he had it finished and put a Harley Davidson logo somewhere inside. With me being off work, I decided that I would tackle the job for him and sort of make it a Father's Day gift. So, I bought the supplies, got an overhead projector and went to work. What a job this turned out to be. It took me 15 hours to complete the job, put I took my time to make it look as good as possible. I am very happy with the finished product and it can be seen in Dad's garage. I have downloaded some step by step photos.

Dad was unsure of where he wanted the logo to go, but I had a good idea before I started. As a matter of fact, Dad was unsure of the paint scheme he wanted in the entire garage, so he left it in my hands. The first photo is the end of day one. I started by priming the wall (2 coats) and then putting the image on the wall by using the overhead projector. I started by painting the "Harley-Davidson" in white. I then painted the orange in the logo. The paint I work with goes on thick and drys fast, plus the little bit of breeze was helping speed along the process.
Midway through Day 2 and I have started using the black. I was sure to be very careful with the black, as it is hard to hide the black painted mistakes. I had Dylanne jump into this photo to give a scale of the size of the project.

Finally after 15 hours, I was done! I was very pleased in the finished project and Dad had not yet seen it. Eventually, we will finish painting the rest of the garage, and I think Dad might have more ideas for the other walls.

A close up of the finished project. Happy Father's Day, Dad! The work was well worth it!

4 comments:

darci said...

MIKE, What an awesome thing to do for your DAD,and you did a very good job, wow! what an artist you are! Aunt Darc

jenni said...

That looks great!!! I will have to stop by and see it!

Sarah Brecht said...

Wow! Outstanding job Schrocker! Very impressive! Hope things start going better with Michaela!

Rog

Sarah Brecht said...

I'm impressed!