Monday, June 30, 2008

What's Wrong With My Baby?!!!!

This morning we started our journey all over again. Micheala, Heather and I all loaded up and went down to University Hospital in Iowa City for an EEG. Micheala didn't think this was fun at all, but she did great. Tears were expected from Micheala, but Heather and I had a hard time staying strong for Micheala. As most of you know, we went through all of this right after Micheala was born. We did numerous tests at St. Lukes, Iowa City and Mayo Clinic only to get no answers. What we thought she out grew, has now come back and it is scaring Heather and I to death. We get very little sleep at night, with Micheala's alarms going off throughout the night and just overall stress. We see this little girl so full of life throughout the day, but struggles so much at night. Heather and I are both absolutely intoxicated with the feeling of helplessness. What can we do, other than worry? I, in my heart, know that Micheala is a tough little girl and can overcome anything thrown her way, but in the same thought....I am her daddy and suppose to protect her in harm's way. We really need answers this time.
Finally after all the probes are on, Micheala is relaxed. It's quite nerve racking during these tests because as much as we want answers, we're not sure if we are prepared to hear them. Who wants to hear that their kid is sick?
The nurses gave Micheala a DVD player to watch movies, then she eventually fell asleep. The kicker of the day is that we did not get any results and are unsure of when we will hear them. Micheala has an MRI scheduled tomorrow at St. Lukes. She will be put under to help the test go smooth. It's scary knowing that Micheala stops breathing when she sleeps, yet they want to put her under for this test. I know that she will be monitored very close, but I'm still very uneasy about the test tomorrow. After the MRI tomorrow, I guess we wait. Iowa City states that they will call to set up an appointment with us if they see something in Micheala's EEG results that has them concerned, otherwise they will see us again in October. Long story short.......if Micheala's test results don't get the doctors' attention, then Heather and I don't sleep until October!
After the EEG, Heather and I had to give Micheala a special day, so we went to play at Coral Ridge Mall for a while. I think Heather and I had more fun watching her run and play, than she actually did! We will get through this, I know this for a fact. Heather and I were talking tonight, over a few adult beverages (much needed), that we really get stronger as husband and wife in these situations. It's a real wake up call for both of us of how fortunate we are to have each other. Times are stressful.....but we get up every morning.......love each other.........love our kids.......and enjoy the opportunity to tackle any obstacles that life wants to throw at us on that given day.

1 comment:

jenni said...

I am so sorry to hear about poor little Micheala and this whole ordeal that you and Heather are going thru. unfortuately as their parents, we can't protect them from everything no matter how hard we try. She is a strong little girl with amazingly strong parents. If you need anything-us to watch Dylanne or to get togehter for a few adult drinks, please call.

Micheala is in our prayers, as are you and I also pray you get some sleep.